VeraSense is a sensor-embedded single-use tibial insert trial that quantifies soft-tissue balance during primary or revision total knee arthroplasty (TKA).
Instability and malalignment are among the leading causes of premature implant failure in TKA.1 The quantitative data VeraSense provides can help address these challenges. Based on your surgical experience, you may decide to make adjustments to soft-tissue or implant position in order to achieve a balanced knee.
With VeraSense, you can Know more. Be sure. Multiple studies have been published that all show the same thing – a balanced knee with VeraSense is a better knee.2-4
With VeraSense, you can achieve:
VeraSense has been shown to mitigate 90-day post-op complications through soft-tissue balance. In one study, patients who received TKA balanced with VeraSense showed a 67% reduction in MUA rate compared to those who underwent standard manual TKA.2*
Adoption of VeraSense may lead to cost savings, primarily associated with the costs of postoperative physical therapyvisits. In one study, reduction in physical therapy visitsresulted in cost savings of $319 relative to pre-VeraSense adoption and $549 relative to the national average in the90-day bundle.5*
Quantitative knee balance through VeraSense has demonstrated significantly improved patient outcomes during the early postoperative phase.3*,4 In one study, the use of VeraSense led to faster improvement in KSS and Oxford PROMs.3*
In a separate multicenter study, patients whose knees were balanced throughout the range of motion with VeraSense reported significantly higher KSS satisfaction scores compared to patients whose knees were unbalanced.4
* This study utilized a non-Stryker VeraSense variant in reaching its conclusions. Outcomes may vary when using a Stryker variant.
The VeraSense trial, which replaces the standard Triathlon tibial insert trial, can be used during the trialing and final implantation stages of TKA. It utilizes proprietary sensor technology to provide you the following real-time data:
The VeraSense software displays this information on a tablet – the LinkStation MINI – via Bluetooth communication, allowing you to intraoperatively view and capture the compartmental loads at multiple degrees of flexion and assess joint kinetics throughout a range of motion.
1. Dominic T. Mathis, Leif Lohrer, Felix Amsler, Michael T. Hirschmann. Reasons for failure in primary total knee arthroplasty - An analysis of prospectively collected registry data. Journal of Orthopaedics, 2021; 23: 60-66.
2. Geller JA, Lakra A, Murtaugh T. The Use of Electronic Sensor Device to Augment Ligament Balancing Leads to a Lower Rate of Arthrofibrosis After Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2017 May;32(5):1502-1504. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2016.12.019
3. Chow JC, Breslauer L. The Use of Intraoperative Sensors Significantly Increases the Patient-Reported Rate of Improvement in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 2017 Jul 1;40(4):e648-e651. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20170503-01
4. Golladay GJ, Bradbury TL, Gordon AC, et al.Are patients more satisfied with a balanced total knee arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty. 2019;34(7S):S195-S200. doi:10.1016/j. arth.2019.03.036
5. Conditt MA, Chow J, Gordon A, et al. Can a balanced TKA save money post-operatively? Presented at: 31st Annual Congress of the International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty (ISTA); October 10-13, 2018; London, UK
This document is intended solely for the use of healthcare professionals. A surgeon must always rely on his or her own professional clinical judgment when deciding whether to use a particular product when treating a particular patient. We do not dispense medical advice and recommend that surgeons be trained in the use of any particular product before using it in surgery.
The information presented is intended to demonstrate the breadth of Stryker’s product offerings. A surgeon must always refer to the package insert, product label and/or instructions for use, including the instructions for cleaning and sterilization (if applicable), before using any of Stryker’s products. Products may not be available in all markets because product availability is subject to the regulatory and/or medical practices in individual markets. Please contact your representative if you have questions about the availability of Stryker’s products in your area.
Stryker or its affiliated entities own, use, or have applied for the following trademarks or service marks: Stryker, Triathlon, VeraSense. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners or holders.
The absence of a product, feature, or service name, or logo from this list does not constitute a waiver of Stryker’s trademark or other intellectual property rights concerning that name or logo.
Copyright © 2022 Stryker